WERSTOK
The first mention of the village comes from 1574. The former Werstok was divided into a "manor" part, with the church, and a village part - located more than a kilometer away in the forest. When the fire destroyed the rural part, the inhabitants built their farms next to the part of the "manor house". And so it has already been.

The Orthodox church was funded in 1768 by Józef Wilczewski, the owner of Werstok, the rotor of the havy armoured (Hussar) banner. In 1869 a thorough renovation of the church was carried out. Then the "ryznica" (a place for storing the liturgical vestments) and the "ponomarka" (sacristy) were added, and the iconostasis was placed inside. In 1909, the porch and belfry were added.

The oldest icons come from the second half of the eighteenth century. The Orthodox Gospels and the Apostle (i.e. liturgical book containing the New Testament writings concerning the Apostles - the Acts of the Apostles, Universal Letters and Letters of St. Paul) with the personal record of the founder Wilczewski are also monumental.

Our commune (Dubicze Cerkiewne) is one of the first three Polish communes with the highest percentage of national minorities. Over 80% of residents declare Belarusian nationality.

We present beautiful pictures of our wild neighbours. Tomasz Czykwin, Werstok's inhabitant, made them near Werstok.







IN THE AREA

The Bialowieza Forest and Bialowieza
The Bialowieza Forest is about 12,000 years old. It is the only natural heritage site in Poland from the UNESCO World Heritage List. We can recommend our friendly forest guides to our Guests. The Good House is located approx. 40 km from the Bialowieza Forest.



In Białowieza - apart from the natural-forest and park museum - we recommend the coffeehouse "Bike Cafe" - the place combining the advantages of a café with the utility of bike and cross-country ski rentals, run by our friends.

Hajnówka
It is the biggest city in the area - with large chain stores, impressive Orthodox churches and the market (well-known in the neighborhood) where healthy food can be bought on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The Good House is located approx. 20 km from Hajnówka.

In Hajnówka we recommend "Wilcze Jadło" ("Wolf Food") - a small pub with good food, run by our friends.



The synagogue in Orla
The synagogue was built around 1754. Until the mid-twentieth century it was one of the few masonry buildings in Orla. Above the entrance there was an inscription: "What fear fills this place! Nothing else here but the House of God". The interior was covered with beautiful frescoes with floral and animal motifs, whose remains have survived to this day. The Good House is located approx. 16 km from the synagogue.


The photo comes from the site polskaniezwykla.pl.

The Eastern Bicycle Route "Green Velo"
It is over 2000 km of a specially marked route. The trail leads through five provinces of eastern Poland. The Good House is located approx. 4 km from the "Green Velo".



Bachmaty Lagoon
The lagoon has a public, sandy beach. A lifeguard is present in the summer season. There is a playground for children and the rental of kayaks and water bikes. The Good House is located approx. 4 km from the Lagoon.


The photo comes from the site atrakcjepodlasia.pl.

Repczyce Lagoon
Similarly to Bachmaty Lagoon, there is a public, sandy beach with a seasonal lifeguard, a playground for children and a rental of floating equipment. The Good House is located approx. 20 km from the Lagoon.


The photo comes from the site grupabiwakowa.pl.

           Good House 2018-2019                           We are at